I began my gardening career in 2015, I took on a few general maintenance clients and did some work experience with various companies. It was great, but without a network of people to learn from/aspire too, I was lost.
What I’ve learnt in these past few years:
- Be energetic, enthusiastic and friendly. Interacting with customers and other gardeners is useful; it builds strong relationships that can provide future work.
- Create a Twitter/Instagram account and connect with fellow horticulturists on there. Read their blogs and listen to their podcasts because you will learn a lot!
- Never turn down an opportunity! Use the connections you build in person/on social media to go on courses/find work experience/expand your knowledge.
- Knowing what tools are necessary; take a look at my toolkit blog here.
- PPE is absolutely necessary.
Finally, garden maintenance is a great place to begin in horticulture, you learn a lot more about plants and from doing a job than you do from just reading about it.